Dry Eye Syndrome, often referred to as “dry eyes,” is a very common condition that results from inadequate lubrication of the eyes. While Dry Eye Syndrome is typically a very treatable condition, it can lead to serious ocular surface disease if ignored. Bliss Eye Associates offers a number of treatment options that may successfully alleviate symptoms and safeguard eye health. We will be happy to provide you with a comprehensive eye evaluation to determine if you are suffering from Dry Eye Syndrome. Once the diagnosis has been made, we can create a customized treatment plan designed to reduce the effects of dry eyes.
Please contact our practice for more information, or to schedule a consultation.
Symptoms of Dry Eyes
Millions of people are affected by Dry Eye Syndrome. There are many potential causes of the condition, including environmental factors, contact lenses, side effects of diseases or medications, problems with the tear ducts, and even the natural aging process. Chronic inflammation or infection of the eyelids may be present in many patients. Symptoms of dry eyes include:
- Itching and burning sensation in the eyes
- Excessive tearing
- General pain and discomfort in the eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- The feeling that a grain of sand or other foreign body is in the eye
- Trouble wearing contact lenses
The symptoms of dry eyes can sometimes be mistaken for infections or allergies, which is why it is vital to have your eyes evaluated as soon as you begin experiencing problems.
Dry Eye Treatment Options
Dry Eye Syndrome cannot be cured; however, the symptoms can be significantly minimized, just as the health of the eyelids can be maximized. Our doctors at Bliss Eye Associates are highly experienced in the treatment of this condition. Options to reduce the effects of dry eyes include:
- Medicinal eye ointments and artificial tear drops
- Vitamin supplements
- Temporary or permanent punctal occlusion – a virtually painless procedure designed to regulate the flow of tears
- RESTASIS® – a prescription eye drop approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of chronic dry eyes
- Treatment of associated inflammation and infections of the eyelids
Once you have your initial eye evaluation here at Bliss Eye Associates, one of our doctors will talk with you about your condition and determine the best treatment option for your needs.
If you have questions about dry eye symptoms or treatments, or if you would like to schedule a consultation here at our practice, please contact us today.